Franchesca Ramsey, the host of MTV’s YouTube series Decoded, created a video explaining why it’s not a compliment to call women of color ‘exotic.’ Ramsey begins by claiming society “sexualizes” women of color by calling them ‘exotic,’ stating that she has been referred to as such by well-meaning people.
Following, Ramsey discusses three reasons why she believes women of color should not be called ‘exotic.’ Her first reason is that ‘exotic’ literally means foreign, stating that many women of color are U.S.-born and have never been outside the country. In addition, Ramsey believes that the term ‘exotic’ is based on white beauty standards, arguing that “being fetishized is not a compliment.” She even goes so far to say that it is wrong to fetishize women of color because it is often based on oppressive stereotypes.
Ramsey concludes by stating that calling women of color ‘exotic’ is hurtful because it makes them feel as if they are on the outside.
Other episodes of Decoded include titles such as…
- Are Fried Chicken and Watermelon Racist?
- Are Cracker, White Trash & Redneck Racist?
- 12 Racist Halloween Costumes FOR KIDS!
- Are All Asians Rich?
- Why Does MTV’s Decoded Hate White People?!?
- 13 Things White People Take for Granted
- The Many Problems With “I Want Mixed Kids”
- Why is the 1% so White?
- Are the PRIMARIES racist?
- Is PC Culture Anti-Free Speech?
- 5 Tips For Being An Ally
- Why Don’t Straight Men Hold Hands?
- 4 Reasons Why “White Pride” Makes People Uneasy
Watch Franchesca why she believes it’s racist to call women of color ‘exotic’ below!
SUPPORT this blog by giving a one-time donation.
ORDER a t-shirt, hoodie, mug, pillow, or phone case here.
LIKE Raging Gay Conservative on Facebook.