The African-American Studies program at the University of Wisconsin – Madison is offering a course titled ‘The Problem of Whiteness.’ The professor of the course is Damon Sajnani. A quote on the course description webpage reads…
“THERE IS NO NEGRO PROBLEM IN THE UNITED STATES, THERE’S ONLY A WHITE PROBLEM.” – Richard Wright
The course description suggests that white people both consciously and subconsciously perpetuate racism, stating…
“[Critical Whiteness Studies] explores how [white people] consciously and unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism.”
In addition, the course description asserts that the United States is a white-supremacist society, claiming that white people uphold and defend white supremacy on a daily basis, even those who claim to be white allies.
“Under systemic racism, even well-meaning whites are constantly asking, in one way or another, “what is it like to be a problem?”
Readings for the course include the following:
- W.E.B. Du Bois, 1920. “The Souls of White Folks” in Dark Water
- George Yancy, 2010. Look, a White!
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, 2015. Between the World and Me
- Damon Sajnani, 2015. “Rachel/Racial Theory: Reverse Passing in the Curious Case of Rachel Dolezal”
- Tim Wise, 2016. White Lies Matter: Race, Crime, and the Politics of Fear in America
If you enjoyed this article check out why one feminist wants to dismantle whiteness.
SUPPORT this blog by giving a one-time donation.
ORDER a t-shirt, hoodie, mug, pillow, or phone case here.
LIKE Raging Gay Conservative on Facebook.